Monday, November 15, 2010

I'm Having a Social Networking Crisis!

I’m having a social networking crisis.

This whole thing has kind of crept up on me. It started out as a distant rumble and ultimately turned into a major seismic event. I ignored Twitter and Facebook and Plaxo (remember them?) as long as I could but, then, the overwhelming peer pressure to play the game made me get my head out of the sand.

I approached it very cautiously. I couldn’t understand why someone would feel compelled to tell everyone that he went to the grocery store or picked up the kids from a soccer game. And, what such trivia had to do with anything related to business. It was no longer possible to catch up with someone only once a year at an annual event (which satisfied me just fine). Now I was forced to be aware of what people I barely knew were doing all year long. Too much information.

But, who am I to buck the trend? I joined Facebook and LinkedIn and Twitter and Tumblr and immediately began to build my network. This is where my crisis began.

Each of them has a similar way of “friending” someone. They give you a choice between “colleague” and “friend” (except Facebook which uses more of a social model, hence everyone is considered a “friend”) and there’s the dilemma.

When I ask someone to join my network I have to decide how to classify him. I’m always afraid that I will insult someone by picking the wrong option. What if, for example, I want to invite a close business acquaintance? Do I pick colleague or friend? If I’ve known him for years I think of him as a friend but I’ve never seen him socially so I guess he’s a colleague. But, what will he think if I call him a colleague and he thinks of me as a friend? It’s happened to me on the receiving end, where someone called me a colleague and I was slightly taken aback because I thought we were closer than that.

I’ve actually had someone accept my invitation and change the classification from colleague to friend (which I considered a promotion). I dread the day when someone changes me from friend to colleague. The demotion would be devastating.

I’ve decided we need a better classification system. More friending options than we currently have. Here are some suggestions:

BUSINESS FRIEND (NON-BUSINESS) – Some of my best friends over the years have been through business. I value them as much as I do my social friends and they’d be insulted if I fail to acknowledge them when I make this important decision. But don’t take advantage of my decision and start trying to sell me something.

BUSINESS FRIEND (BUSINESS) – Okay if you try to sell me something occasionally. This classification can easily drop to COLLEAGUE I DO BUSINESS WITH if I get a sales call more than once a year.

BUSINESS FRIEND (WITH BENEFITS) – Someone I know through business who has tickets to things or a boat.

BUSINESS FRIEND (PROBATIONARY) – Someone who was previously a colleague but is moving up to business friend because he sent me a referral. If I get another he’ll shed the probationary label. Also used if he’s buying a boat or condo at the lake.
COLLEAGUE – Someone I met once at Business After Hours. I don’t remember what he looks like but I have his business card.

COLLEAGUE EVERYONE WANTS – Someone who I don’t know very well but who looks impressive to others.

COLLEAGUE WHO CALLS ME WHEN HE NEEDS SOMETHING – Someone who’s my best buddy when he wants me to raise bail money to get out of some silly jail fund raiser.

COLLEAGUE I WANT TO LINK TO JUST TO PACK MY NETWORK – Someone I invite to join me because it’s embarrassing to have too few people on my contact list.

COLLEAGUE I DON’T CARE FOR – This is a great way to know where people you don’t like are going to be so you can avoid them.

I think that our culture would benefit from much better understanding between social networking buddies. It creates honesty where today we have deceit.

Ashton Kutcher eat your heart out.

rjs

No comments:

Post a Comment